Casual Labourer - Irrigation
|Openings||Up to 10|
City of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan, CA
|Date Posted||Jan 29, 2013|
|Occupational Category||General Labour|
|Experience Level(s)||0 - 2 years|
|Desired Employment Status||Casual, Full Time|
|Education Level(s)||High School|
This job position belongs to the General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
This opportunity typically runs from May to October.
This position performs a variety of work related to the operations, maintenance, and repair of the City’s irrigation systems. This position provides technical expertise to field staff, contractors, and customers/users on the construction, repair, maintenance, preservation and prudent use of the City’s irrigation infrastructure. This position reports to an Irrigation Worker II.
Typical duties include:
- Service (including spring start up and fall winterizing), repair, adjust, and/or replace the City’s irrigation systems and equipment.
- Operating irrigation equipment and assist with troubleshooting relative to the irrigation systems.
- Perform work according to specifications, blueprints, diagrams and work orders, all in accordance with governing policies, procedures and methods.
- Record and report accurate work progress.
- Performs related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities are obtained through a Grade twelve (12) or GED equivalency with one (1) year experience in irrigation system operation, maintenance, component repairs and troubleshooting.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Must have or be willing to obtain Confined Space, High Density Fusion of Polyethylene Piping, Trenching and Shoring Certificates.
- Knowledge of materials and methods to repair and install basic drainage systems.
- Skilled in the operation of all relevant machinery, tools and equipment including specialized equipment such as safety equipment, fusing equipment, trenchers/plow, compressors and related tools.
- Skilled in repairing and adjusting all types and brands of sprinkler heads, valves, back flow preventers, irrigation pumps, irrigation piping, wiring (30 volts or less), controllers and associated irrigation fittings, and to irrigation control systems (controllers, pump houses).
- Skilled in troubleshooting, disassembly, repair and reassembly of various pumps.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical, irrigation blueprints, drawings, plans.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
* Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
Division: Community Planning & Development
Department: Community Development, Recreation & Parks
Salary: The base salary for these positions are $12.31 per hour (2012 rates). However, depending on operational needs, training may be available that leads to work assignments of a higher rate of pay up to $20.63 per hour (2012 rates).
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest.
|Applications are being accepted until July 31, 2013
< < Back