Casual Labourer - Forestry
|Openings||Up to 7|
City of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan, CA
|Date Posted||Feb 06, 2013|
|Occupational Category||General Labour|
|Experience Level(s)||0 - 2 years|
|Desired Employment Status||Casual, Full Time|
|Education Level(s)||High School|
This job position belongs to General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
Duration: The season typically runs from May to October
Hours & Conditions: These positions will be required to work non-standard hours and weekends. Candidates will be exposed to temperature extremes, chemicals/pesticides, dust and other allergens.
Work assignment type: seasonal, full-time hours
Interviews: will begin at the end of March
This position performs a technical role in the pruning and related maintenance, removal and, disposal of trees and shrubs within the urban forest. This position reports to the Arborist.
Typical duties include:
- Follows maintenance standards, as they relate to the various programs within the urban forestry section.
- Performs structural condition assessments of trees and shrubs.
- Prunes and maintains trees accessible from the ground.
- Operates other equipment such as chain saws, brush chippers, stumpers, etc.
- Performs other activities such as bracing and general care of trees and shrubs.
- Applies proper surgical techniques on damaged or diseased specimens.
- Maintains daily records of activities relevant to the forestry inventory.
- Responsible for ensuring safe physical working conditions and adheres to established safe working practices and procedures.
- Participates in development and implementation of automated inventories of arboricultural assets.
- Performs related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities are obtained through a Grade twelve (12) and related Urban Forestry courses in Arboriculture or completion of the I.S.A. Arborist Certification Program combined with a minimum of one (1) year related experience in an urban forestry program including experience pruning, removing and repairing trees.
- Must possess an endorsed drivers license of A1G.
- Must be willing to obtain Standard First Aid & CPR.
- Knowledge of tree and shrub identification and its practical application as it relates to proper pruning and maintenance requirement.
- Knowledge of common pests and diseases affecting urban trees.
- Knowledge of methodology, materials and safe practices associated with the tools and equipment utilized in the urban forestry programs.
- Knowledge of the basic objectives of tree pruning.
- Ability to work independently and/or as a contributing member of a team, exercising initiative and good judgement to complete work assignments and contribute toward a positive work environment.
- Ability to prune, repair and remove trees from the ground.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labour in all types of weather.
- Ability to operate wood chippers and other forestry related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
Division: City Operations
Department: Open Space & Environmental Services
Salary Grade: The base salary for these positions is $12.31/hour (2012 rates). However, depending on operational needs, training may be available that leads to work assignments of a higher rate of pay up to $21.74 (2012 rates).
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
|Applications are being accepted until July 31, 2013
< < Back